Through ride-a-longs the Department encourages and permits adult citizens to participate in the direct observation of sworn personnel performing law enforcement duties. Ride-a-longs are conducted for the primary purpose of informing the community of, and addressing community perceptions and/or misconceptions, about crime and/or the response to crime.
Candidates shall meet the following criteria to be eligible for participation in the program:
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age or older;
- No felony or recent misdemeanor convictions on the candidate’s criminal history;
- Reside and/or work within the boundaries of Clayton County;
- Must consent to and sign a Release to Hold Harmless; and
- Provide a copy of the candidate’s current driver’s license.
Adult family members of police officers can apply for a Ride-A-Long to better familiarize them with the challenges faced by their loved one. This family familiarization Ride-A-Long will be with an officer or supervisor who is not related by blood or marriage to the applicant.